Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I'm An INFJ...What Are You?

I think horoscopes are a crock of manure. Most of the time they are so vaguely written that they could apply to 98 percent of the population, and, just like the fortunes in fortune cookies, they’re more accurate when you add “on the toilet” or "in bed" at the end of them.

Or they’re totally inaccurate, meaning that everything ever written about your sign is the complete opposite of you. As an Aries I supposedly have spontaneity, extreme boldness, and a magnetic personality. Sure, if cuddling up on the couch with a rousing game of Candy Crush is your idea of a hot Saturday night, then yeah, I’m your woman!

Anyway, I just wanted to bring that up so you wouldn't think I was crazy when I told you about my love for personality profiles. I don’t usually buy into any of that stuff that claims to know all of your innermost secrets, but then I discovered the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. And then my mind was officially blown.
 
According to the Myers-Briggs assessment, I am an INFJ, which led me to the discovery that I was right all along - I’m a total fruit loop. Okay, not exactly, but based on the info I found online, it’s the rarest of the types, making up only 1-3 percent of the population. And here are some of the traits listed that struck me the most:

1)"INFJs are gentle, caring, complex and highly intuitive individuals." Well, ahem…thank you.

2) "INFJs are far less serious inwardly than they may appear outwardly. Their inner world is well described as playful, imaginative, colorful, mischievous, and daring." GUILTY!

3) "At intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent ‘givers.’" <insert sound of mind being blown>

4) "...many INFJs report feeling like aliens in the world." Now this is just getting creepy.

Clint, the hubs, is an INTJ, which is another one of the rarest types, accounting for 1-4 percent of the population. Yep, he and I are just a couple of weirdos. The most interesting standouts about him:


1) "They generally withhold strong emotion and do not like to waste time with what they consider irrational social rituals."  It would take me ten pages to go into all the reasons why this is accurate and hilarious, including an explanation of what happens when we have to pull over for a funeral procession, but I'll just leave it at this - it's accurate. And hilarious.


2) "They may even be considered the most independent of all of the sixteen personality types." Again, accurate and hilarious.

3) "By nature INTJs can be demanding in their expectations, and approach relationships in a rational manner." Seriously, it’s like Wikipedia wrote this article specifically about Clint.

So, I don't know - maybe Carl Jung really was on to something when he came up with his theories. All I know is it's fun to get some insight into your quirks...and your husband's quirks. And then laugh at them. A lot.

And it's also nice to know that I'm not alone in my weirdnesses...even if there aren't that many of us.

What about you? What's your type?