Tuesday, October 14, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: Life Gets Messy

I took this picture of my kids' room today:


When You Can't Keep Up With The Mess

Though the beds aren't made and we don't exactly have the best organizational system for their toys, this is the cleanest their room has been in a while. And I needed the picture because it won't be like this for long.

Despite the fact that I can not stand clutter and desire a clean space to keep my sanity, my kids couldn't care less. They have fun, they make messes, and they would be perfectly content to keep it that way. I recently sat down with them and had a talk about how we can all help each other by cleaning up our own messes and learning the right way to put each item in its proper place (I am growing weary from all the missing socks and shoes I have located in the toy box), and at least Hannah seemed to understand where I was coming from.

“What would our house look like if we never took the time to clean it up and just left our messes everywhere?” I asked.

“Um...” she thought for a moment. “A pot of stew.”

Yes, great job, kiddo. That is the most accurate description I have ever heard.

So today we I got rid of a bunch of broken toys and trinkets that were probably still only in their room because of their silly mama's nostalgic attachment to them, and at least for now, the ambiance is much better. But a lived-in home is one that requires constant care, so these results won't last for long.

And that is exactly how it is in life. It gets messy. We clean it up, we change our mood, we give it our attention, but living requires getting messy, so there is always more cleaning up to do. It's a maintenance process, not something we can just get out of the way and be done with.

The good news is that no matter how messy our lives get, there is one promise of which we can be certain: “...I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die...” John 11:25-26. We will overcome any suffering, brokenness, drama, pain, strife, and general messes of life because He has overcome them. He has turned the 'messy' into a message.

I admit I'm one who longs for the pristine life. I don't like messy. But messy is real, and if I pretend messy doesn't exist, I risk missing out on opportunities to be blessed by others through real, honest relationships. And to be blessed by Him through His grace.

So that's where I am right now. Today we're all cleaned up around here, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always. Remember the wonders He has done.” Psalm 105:4-5