Saturday, October 11, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: What It Looks Like

As I've spent the past ten days reflecting on scriptures and putting into words some of my thoughts on them, I have also found myself reflecting on the ways in which I see the words of the Bible come alive to me, and the most powerful way I've seen them made real in my life has been through human beings.

Despite our flaws and weaknesses, we were designed to demonstrate holiness to one another. I wrote yesterday about how we sometimes let each other down, but it's important for me to also write about how we can come through for each other, and how it can be extraordinary.
 
How To Be A Godly Husband

When I think about who has shown me the strength that I've read about in the Bible, and the faith, the love, the determination, the perseverance, and the integrity, I think of my husband. (I think of many other people as well, but he is my closest relationship.) He so often shows me what it looks like to be a light in the darkness, to be a vessel for truth and love.

-----
Psalm 1:1-3 - “How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers.”
-----

He holds me up when I am weak. When I have doubts, when I'm hurting, when I don't know what to say or how to deal with what life puts in front of me, he speaks truth.

He loves me sacrificially, even if I don't deserve it. He sets his needs aside when necessary and puts his family first. He loves his children. He teaches them and guides them and nurtures them.

He is committed to knowing God and seeking His wisdom. He does what is right, even when it's difficult. He is more patient than I could ever hope to be, and he leads others even when he doesn't know it.

He doesn't buy me expensive gifts or win me over with flowery words. That isn't what I want or need, and he knows my heart. All I need or want is a companion who walks beside me hand-in-hand, through the sunlight and through the storms, as we embrace all this abundant life has to offer.

I am so thankful for him, my sacred gift. As we all navigate our individual paths, we can never take for granted the blessing that is the hope we find in one another. We may falter and we may fail, but there is always love. There is always, always love.