Thursday, October 9, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: Simple Faith

My kids made me smile today. Well, they make me smile every day, but here is why they did today:

They worked for a long time on what I assumed to be an art project, and then they came to find me. They excitedly told me,“we're superheroes!” Hannah had created arm guards for herself and Abram held little yellow construction paper cutouts over his eyes.

“Wow! That's very creative,” I said. “What are your superhero names?”

“I'm Magenta Girl, and he is Triangle Man,” Hannah said.
 
What Does It Mean To Have Childlike Faith
 
So of course I snapped a picture of Magenta Girl and Triangle Man since it is so rare to have an actual superhero sighting, though I was never able to determine which super powers they possessed. I did, however, determine that these two are brilliant and creative and hilarious, as moms tend to do. But there's so much more to it than that. There's so much more to be seen, and they give me glimpses. 

Magenta Girl wore her arm bands to dinner at a restaurant tonight, and I was reminded of one particularly incredible super power that I need to tap into more often.

Yesterday I wrote about prayer and how it doesn't have to be as complex as we sometimes make it out to be, and tonight I listened to a four-year-old supergirl say a grace before our meal that brought tears to my eyes.

“Dear God, Thank you for our food. And thank you for our family. And thank you for all the things you give us every day. And thank you that you love us. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.”

How simple it can be. Just to recognize the superhero in this story. The source of every ounce of strength. The giver of every blessing under the sun. The life-giving love for every being on this earth.

All we need is the faith of child. It's the super power that can't be beat.

1 John 5:11-12 - “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.”

John 5:24 - “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes in Him who sent me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.”

John 6:28-29 - “Therefore they said to Him, 'what shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?' Jesus answered and said to them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.'”