Sunday, October 5, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: Casting Out Fear

Growing up, I loved watching scary movies. I loved the month of October with all the spooky-themed TV shows. I loved reading scary stories (Remember the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark series? Agh, those were the best!).

I still greatly enjoy this time of year, but I'm not as interested in the scary stuff as I used to be. After all that I've seen and heard of as an adult, I've found there's enough to be scared about in this world without turning to fiction. Of course, my fears have taken a very different form now. I worry about my children. I worry about whether or not I'm ready to have more children. I fear the unknown that lies in the future. I'm afraid of failure, of sickness, of pain.

But then I remember that God has told me how to shut down those fears.

Isaiah 41:10 - “Fear not, for I am with you...”

Philippians 4:8-9 – “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me – practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.”

It's possible to keep my mind from going to that place of fear when I shift my focus to the truth about His peace. I can have confidence in the face of those things that I would normally be afraid of. Why? Because God is in control, He is with me, and His purpose always prevails. Fear is just a lack of faith. It means I'm not trusting in the hope that He has provided for me.

Without Him, there would be every reason in the world to fear.

I think I held to that promise so much tighter when I was younger. That's why the scary stuff never bothered me. It was easier for me to trust in His safety and security because I knew how much I needed it. But now that I'm the one who is providing it for my children, it's not as easy for me to go to a place of vulnerability, and oddly enough, that's exactly what I need. I need to depend on His strength, not mine.

So throughout this month of 'spooks and frights', I think I'll challenge myself to remember how to face fear head-on. Real or imagined, no fear can touch me - they can only have as much impact on me as I allow them to have.