Sunday, October 26, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: When Life Happens

Well, I missed a couple of days. It was bound to happen, since that's just how it goes sometimes, and I have a good excuse (I was spending quality time with family out in the country, aka 'away from it all'), so I can't say I'm all that distraught about it. Plus I made it a full 23 days into this challenge, faithfully writing about strength in scripture every single day, and I'm grateful that I have these little devotionals to look back on and to one day share with my kids. I suppose I'll just keep on truckin' and write a few more to finish out the month.

One thing I can take away from this whole experience is that even when I fail to carry out the tasks I set out to do, and even when other people in my life fail me, and even when the world fails to give me the answers that I seek, there is always one constant in my life.

The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.” - Lamentations 3:22-23

And part of my reasoning for participating in this challenge was to ensure that I'm pursuing growth and improvement. I never want to stay still, stuck in my own inadequate ways, never reaching for all that I can to make me a better person. I have the ultimate example of what that can look like.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” - Hebrews 13:8

I pray that I will raise my children to pursue that kind of integrity because it's certainly a challenge in the world today. I hope that they will learn faithfulness through the words that I've written to them and the examples that their father and I try to set for them. And I hope that we will all continue encouraging one another as we face the challenges that come our way.