Monday, October 6, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: The Plan Of Wisdom

Most mornings I have a vague plan of what I'm going to do for the day. The plan may include any errands to be run or bills to be paid, in addition to any housework that needs to get done and activities with the kids. Generally, my plan does not unfold in the manner that it should because my kids often have somewhat different plans. If they were to write down their schedule for the day, it would look something like this:

- Wake up entirely too early for the too-late bedtime the night before.

- Request food before the 'not-morning-person' parental unit has acquired coffee.

- Be completely unable to locate one single pair of matching shoes and/or socks due to them never being put where they belong after taking them off.

- Insist on wearing seasonally inappropriate clothing.

- Fight. A lot.

- Make mess. Clean mess. Make mess. Clean mess. Make mess. (Continue until Mom gives up on mess control.)

It could be really easy for me to get frustrated. In fact, I get frustrated every day. But do you know what else is on their to-do list? 'Say and do such adorable things that Mom forgets she was ever annoyed.' Like when they tickle each other or play sweet make-believe games or laugh (and laugh and laugh). And the conversations they have...oh my...I wish I could carry a tape recorder everywhere we go.
How To Raise Godly Sons And Daughters

No matter what happens on any given day, it is my duty to remember my purpose as I'm raising these little ones, which is to help them learn and grow, and just like many other parents out there who take their roles seriously, I can be quite critical of myself. But just when I start to get discouraged, they show me in so many ways how they are listening...they are learning.

I don't know of a greater desire of a parent than to impart wisdom to his child. What I want for my children is simple, but it's not so simple to give. It's a lifetime of instruction, and I'm still in training.

Proverbs 4:20-23 - “My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your sight; Keep them in the midst of your heart. For they are life to those who find them And health to all their body. Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.”

Proverbs 23:15-16 - “My son, if your heart is wise, My own heart also will be glad; And my inmost being will rejoice When your lips speak what is right.”

I relate to those words more than ever when I go into their room at night as they sleep and touch their little arms and watch the rise and fall of their chests. One day the time I have to get to do that will be gone, but until then, I promise to make it my mission to give them life every day, as much as I can.