Sunday, October 12, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: An Eternal Perspective

I have been through different seasons in my walk with God. There have been times when it was dry and dusty, and I thirsted for water that I couldn't find, times when the sun shone and the path was beautiful, and times when I thought the cold would swallow me up. There were times when I led the way and He stayed ten paces behind, and times when I felt closer to Him than anyone else. What a difference the right focus makes. When I am consistent in my pursuit for God's will in my life, when I am not concerning myself with the trivial issues of this world, when I am setting myself aside (man, that's a hard one), I truly am a different person.

No one can serve two masters. “...for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” - Matthew 6:21

The Bible tells us to store up our treasure in heaven and not here on earth, but how can we do that when we are here on earth? It's rarely easy to lay aside what we think we should have in favor of what we truly need, especially since we're constantly surrounded by messages that contradict that particular teaching. But it starts in our minds.

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” - Romans 12: 1-2

I have to change my mind about what matters, sometimes several times a day. Am I presenting my whole body as a sacrifice to God? Or am I worshiping something else entirely? Because it isn't possible to do both. Anything done in this life that has no eternal value is worth nothing. That's a hard pill to swallow when I think about how often I'm engaged in activities that don't matter at all. Yet when I look back on those seasons of my life and consider which ones were the most fruitful, it doesn't make 'renewing my mind' seem all that difficult.

I used to wish I had the superpower to see into the future, but that was because I wanted the ability to control it. Now I know that's a useless endeavor – the question is am I willing to operate in faith in the future that has been promised to me. That is when true transformation occurs.