Sunday, October 19, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: When You're Weary

Sundays are exhausting for me. I'm not sure what it is, exactly, that makes Sundays that way, but after church and lunch and all the hustle and bustle of the morning, I usually end up taking a nap or fighting the urge to take a nap. While it is supposed to be a day of rest, I often feel so tired that I can't enjoy my rest (if that makes any sense?). Resting is supposed to be fun, right? Not make you more tired!

Verses For When You're Tired And WearyThe truth is I feel a little of that every day, and I think that's just how it is when you're a mom of littles. They are tiny fireballs of energy-suck. Even on days when I feel like I didn't accomplish much, by the time evening arrives I feel like I ran a marathon. I adore them, though, of course, and realize that this time is so precious. I just wish I had an energy level that matched theirs.


Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.” - Galatians 6:9

This verse has never rung truer for me than when raising children. They're only little for a short while (as the saying goes, the days are long but the years are short), and in time we mothers and fathers will reap the rewards of what we put into it now. I especially need that reminder on the days when I'm not as diligent about my work. It may not be the kind of work in which the results are seen immediately, but it's still important work, and it's still good work.

And the good news is I don't have to solely rely on my own energy:

For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me.” - Colossians 1:29

There are countless verses that talk about finding rest in God. We can run and not be weary. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. He alone is our refuge, and He refreshes the weary. So to all you parents who are feeling zonked today, and to all of you workers in other fields who are in need of some rejuvenation, tell yourself this, and remember that it's true:

I can do this, and I am not alone.