Monday, October 20, 2014

31 Days Of Strength In Scripture: Servanthood

Some days I just don't know what to do with myself. I wake up all ambitious and think I'm going to clean the whole house until it's spotless! And then I'm going to create meal plans and bake from scratch! And then I'm going to come up with fun activities for the kids! And then I'm going to write half a novel! One of my daughter's favorite phrases scrolls through the back of my mind – this is gonna be the BEST DAY EVER!

I don't think it has ever gone quite how I envisioned. Too many distractions, too much fatigue, and not enough perfection. I still have some pretty awesome days, though, so I can't complain. However, it's important to note that the days that are the greatest are always the ones when I have the right attitude. At the end of the day, what got done or what accomplishments were made are always of less importance than the mindset I had when I carried out the tasks.

I think that many times it boils down to having the mind and heart of a servant. Did I give my kids everything they needed today? Was I thinking about what was best for my family? Did I consider the impact my actions might have on someone else? Were my intentions good? Having the right mind and heart when going into the tasks we face naturally makes the outcome so much better.

After all, no one can serve two masters, right? I can't be both what the world wants me to be and also who God wants me to be. Their goals often don't line up. So I have to consider what purpose I want the day to have and which plans I need to let go of. We have to give up the illusion of control to which the world so desperately wants us to cling and seek the guidance that we so desperately need. It is when I'm being led, not trying to lead myself, that I discover grace.

For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
- Luke 14:11

Whoever seeks to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.” - Luke 17:33

For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself?” - Luke 9:24-25